If you’re ready to explore the pinnacle of the world of vaping, you’re ready to buy a vape mod. Vape mods represent the best of what the vaping industry has to offer, and they’re the vape devices that expert vapers almost always use. Switching from a beginner-oriented starter kit to a vape mod, however, isn’t just a matter of getting better performance out of your vaping experience. Stepping up to a full-sized mod will add complexity to your experience, and it may also mean that you’ll need to switch to an unfamiliar inhaling style.
Are you ready to step up to a box mod? We’ll explain the things you need to consider in this beginner’s guide to vape mods.
What Is a Vape Mod?
Vape mods are the largest vaping devices on the market, and they’re capable of operating at much higher power levels than smaller beginner-oriented vape kits. Compared to the small e-cigarette or pod system that you probably bought when you started vaping, a vape mod may have the ability to operate at up to double the wattage. If you want your vape juice to produce the biggest clouds and boldest flavours you’ve ever experienced, that’s exactly what you’ll get with a vape mod.
Here are some of the main benefits and drawbacks of vape mods compared to smaller vaping devices.
- Vape mods are larger than other vaping devices. The increased size enables them to hold larger batteries, so the best vape mods tend to produce bigger vapour clouds and offer longer battery life compared to smaller devices.
- A vape mod uses the industry-standard 510 thread for attachments, so it’ll generally work with almost any vape tank on the market. A vape mod is almost always a sub-ohm vape, so it will support atomizer coil resistances under 1 ohm and will work with thick e-liquids that have high levels of vegetable glycerine.
- A vape mod may have a fairly complex built-in menu system. You’ll need to take the time to learn how to use the device’s interface if you want to have the best possible experience.
- A vape mod will usually come with a large vape tank designed for the direct-to-lung inhaling style. You can always install a mouth-to-lung tank if you prefer that inhaling style – but if you prefer mouth-to-lung vaping, there’s little need to buy a large vape mod.
What Are the Best Vape Mods for Beginners?
Shopping for your first vape mod can be difficult if you’ve never used a larger vaping device before. With so much variety available, how can you possibly tell what your preferences will be? We’ll help you begin your search by recommending a few of the best vape mods for beginners.
- Geek Vape Aegis Solo 2: The Geek Vape Aegis range is famous throughout the vaping community because the devices are incredibly durable. Offering industry-leading water, dust and shock resistance, an Aegis vape mod can survive all of the use and abuse you can throw at it. The Aegis Solo 2 is the ideal entry-level device in the Aegis range. Using a single removable 18650 battery, it can support just about any vape tank on the market with its maximum power delivery of 100 watts.
- SMOK G-Priv Pro: If you’re currently using a pod system and would like to step up to a more powerful pod-based device rather than buying a traditional vape mod, you’ll probably love the SMOK G-Priv Pro. It produces a maximum power of 80 watts using a single removable 18650 battery, and the included pod supports the full range of SMOK LP2 and RPM2 coils to give you plenty of vaping options.
- Voopoo Argus: The Voopoo Argus is an excellent choice if you’re interested in a new vape mod that delivers more power than your current device while still offering support for the mouth-to-lung vaping style. Using a built-in 1,500 mAh battery, the Voopoo Argus delivers up to 40 watts of power. The best thing about the Argus, though, is that it can grow with you. When you’re ready to try direct-to-lung vaping, there’s no need to buy a new device; just change the coil and mouthpiece, and the Argus is ready for direct lung hits.
What Are the Differences Between Integrated and Replacement Battery Vape Mods?
The main factor that separates some vape mods from others is the types of batteries that they use. Some vape mods use permanent built-in batteries, and others use removable batteries. Choosing between the two battery styles is the most important decision you’ll need to make when you shop for a vape mod. Here are some of the factors that can help you make a better decision.
Benefits of Vape Mods with Integrated Batteries
The greatest benefit of vape mods with integrated batteries is that they’re usually smaller, lighter and less expensive than vape mods with removable batteries. When a vape mod has a built-in battery, the battery doesn’t have to be cylindrical in shape, and the device doesn’t require the thick, heavy hardware that a mod needs in order to support a removable battery. Because the battery comes with the device – thus negating the need to purchase things like batteries and chargers separately – vape mods with integrated batteries tend to be the least expensive mods on the market. Owning a mod with a built-in battery also removes certain battery safety requirements because there’s no need to worry about storing and transporting spare batteries properly.
Benefits of Vape Mods with Removable Batteries
Although vape mods with built-in batteries are small and inexpensive, they do have one major drawback in that, when the battery stops functioning, you’ll need to replace the entire device. Considering that a lithium-ion battery typically lasts somewhere in the range of 500 charge-discharge cycles, that means you’ll probably need to replace a device with a built-in battery after less than two years – less than one year if you recharge the device twice a day. A vape mod with a removable battery, on the other hand, can potentially last much longer because you can replace the battery when its capacity begins to diminish.
The other benefit of using a vape mod with a removable battery is that there’s no need to stop vaping while you wait for your battery to charge. Although you’re always free to charge the device via the USB connection, you also have the option of using an external battery charger. In that case, you can charge one battery while vaping with another.
How Do Vape Pens and Pod Systems Compare to Vape Mods?
Suppose you purchased a pre-filled e-cigarette as your first vaping device, and you’re here because you’re thinking about upgrading to a refillable device. A vape mod could be the right device for you, but you’re also curious about other refillable devices like pod systems and vape pens. What’s the better option for a newer vaper? These are some of the key qualities of vape pens and refillable pod systems.
- They’re typically much simpler than vape mods. They’re easier to set up, and they don’t have complicated menu systems. They’re also compatible with fewer atomizer coils and other accessories.
- They’re usually designed for the mouth-to-lung inhaling style. You might like that if you want to buy a new vaping device but don’t want to make a fundamental change to the way you vape.
- They’re typically less powerful than full-sized vape mods. On one hand, that means a vape pen or pod system usually produces smaller clouds. However, that also means a vape pen or pod system is optimised to work well with e-liquid that has a higher nicotine strength. That means you’ll enjoy a stronger throat hit.